18 July 2013

Visa-fied!

After two months of sending off random requests to the state capital, multiple trips to Kinkos, and a million questions on the auxiliares Facebook page, the day of my visa appointment finally arrived. For those who haven't had theirs yet, I will admit it is extremely pain-free as long as you have everything with you. Here's a basic rundown of how it all went:

  • Get there early! Miami's consulate requires an appointment, but once you get there, they give you a number and you go in based on that rather than appointment time. I got there at 8:30 (the consulate opens at 9) and there were already 7 people ahead of me even though my appointment was at 9. I lucked out because all the people ahead of me had something missing (no photocopies, missing consent form, etc.).
  • Make sure to have the following:
    • two copies of the visa application with a passport picture attached to each
    • original letter of acceptance from your communidad (extremely important!) and your CIEE letter (if applicable)
    • your passport and a copy of the information page
    • original and translated version of medical certificate, plus one copy of each
    • original background check with Apostille and translation, plus a copy of the check and the translation
    • driver's license and a copy
    • money order
  • The lady at the window asked for each of my documents in turn and then asked me to have a seat while she reviewed them and got me my receipt. When she called me up again, she gave me back:
    • original background check with the Apostille and original translation
    • original medical certificate with translation
    • driver's license
    • one visa application (with picture) stamped with the consulate's seal
    • a receipt
  • If you choose to pick up your visa in person rather than have it mailed to you, she wrote the date on which it will be available for pick up on my receipt. To pick it up, anyone can do it for me as long as they have the receipt and the visa application!
  • The entire appointment took about 15 minutes. It's really not that bad, trust me.
  • Check out this post on some questions I've gotten (and asked) about the process.
Buena suerte, chicos! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment