18 July 2013

Visa Application FAQs

All right, so now that my visa process is over and (almost) done with, a quick Q&A about the questions I got asked most often (and some of which I asked myself):
  1. What are the general requirements for the visa application?
    I wrote a post on this a while back. Keep in mind, those instructions are specific to the MIami consulate!
  2. Where can I find requirements for the other consulates?
    I compiled a list of instructions for the other consulates from other blogs. Any questions though should be directed at that particular blogger; I know nothing:
  3. Where can I find the visa application?
    Here!
  4. Where can I request the Florida background check and the apostille?
    For the FL background check, you must mail a request to the office in Tallahassee. Make sure to note that you would like your check to be certified/notarized. Once you get it back, you can send it to the state for the apostille at this address.
  5. How long does the background check take to come back? And the apostille?
    The FL state background check takes approximately a week. The apostille took me approximately two weeks total time (allow at least 5 business days). FBI checks are known to take between 6-8 weeks.
  6. What does the medical certificate have to say?

    This medical certificate attests that Mr./Ms. ____________________ does not suffer from any illness that would pose a threat to public health according to the International Health Regulations of 2005.

    Signature                     Date


    Spanish version (your doctor can just write this on his/her letterhead and sign and stamp it)
    Este certificado médico acredita que el Sr./Srta. ________________ no padece ninguna de las enfermedades que pueden tener repercusiones de salud pública graves de conformidad con lo dispuesto en el Reglamento Sanitario Internacional del 2005.

    Firma                          Fecha
  7. Which forms need to be translated? Which need to be notarized?
    For Miami's consulate, the background check and the medical certificate will need to be translated. You may request a Spanish version of your background check from the state, and you may also request that your doctor write the medical certificate in both Spanish and English.
    The background check must be notarized in order to get the apostille. It is the only document that needs to be notarized/apostilled.
  8. How do I provide proof of financial support?
    Your carta de nombramiento from the Spanish government will provide this information as well as insurance info. If you're in CIEE, you will receive a letter directly from them with proof of insurance and income.
  9. Where is the Miami consulate located? 
    2655 S Le Jeune Rd Suite 203
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
  10. Who do I make the money order out to?
    Consulate General of Spain
  11. What is the actual appointment like?
    Read my post about my experience here!
  12. What if I don't have all my documents ready by the time of the appointment?
    Depends on what documents you're missing. The most important thing is to have your carta de nombramiento from Spain. Background checks are flaky, so if you don't have it in time for your appointment, Miami will let you mail it to them once you receive it.
  13. How long does it take to get your visa back?
    This varies by consulate, but in Miami it is usually within 4-6 weeks. My receipt tells me I can pick it up starting August 15th, so approximately 4 weeks from now. It may be less time if you are having yours mailed or are leaving earlier.


No comments:

Post a Comment