20 June 2013

Friday Five

1. I finally got my background check back from the state department! For those of you keeping tabs on this, it took approximately two weeks total to send the form, have them run it, and send it back. Not bad at all, I think. BUT OF COURSE, I forgot to request the certification of the document before they sent it back to me. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has done this and I'm certain I won't be the last. If you find yourself in the visa application process (in FL), here are some pointers:
    • When you send your background check form into the FDLE in Tallahassee, include a sticky note saying that you would like to have your results certified. You will NOT be able to get the Apostille without a notary signing (certifying) the document, so save yourself the hassle!
    • If you're like me and do forget to include the note, you have two options. The first is what I did: as soon as I got my background check back, I called FDLE and let them know that I actually needed a certified copy and had gotten one that was not. I asked "Larry" what my options were, and he told me he could send me a certified copy that very afternoon. Life saver. Once I have that in my hands (again), I'll be able to send the $10 fee and the document to Tallahassee to get the apostille.
    • Other people on my program have said that you can just take the document and have it notarized at your bank. My bff Larry said that usually doesn't work, and if they're willing to send you a new copy for free, just do that and be safe.
2. I have officially received my placement letter from the Comunidad de Madrid! I am now legally employed by the Spanish Ministry of Education :) With that, I went ahead and moved my appointment date. I am now scheduled for mid July...omg.

3. I have also been in contact with my school! There was an info email on the school's website, so I emailed and got a response from the school's principal. He put me in touch with the bilingual program coordinator and the current auxiliar at the school. They have both been extremely helpful! The auxiliar has given me advice on good areas to live and what her life at the school is generally like. The bilingual director has told me that while they haven't yet finalized the schedule for next year, it is quite likely that I will be with either primer ciclo (ages 5-7) or segundo ciclo (ages 7-9). She also told me it is quite likely I will work at least once a week with the "cincos", or the equivalent of pre-k here (squeal!).

4. I've now received two info packets from my top-choice grad schools, and it only increased my liking for them. I won't list them here, in case grad schools are stalking me and they get offended they're not on my list.

5. On a completely unrelated note, any fellow So You Think You Can Dance fans out there?!? I am SO pumped for this new season, and I've already started picking favorites. If you didn't watch the top 20 episode, you can find a list of the dancers who made it here and my two favorite routines of the night here and here.

Also, if any elementary school teachers are looking to expand their students' cultural horizons (preferably grades 2-4), let me know! I have an idea I'd like to try out and work on.

Happy weekend, folks! Have a sangria or two :)

PS shout out to those of you who aren't from the States and are reading this!


No comments:

Post a Comment